Create Site from Base
These instructions should work for creating a new site for a client. Following these instructions will create a theme that borrows its functionality and code from a base theme; this enables us to make changes to the base theme and have it “cloned” down to all child themes almost instantly.
- Create TEMP site based off of www.jlocc.org (do not build on tcheetah01 which is the server it resides on)
- Login to created site
- Go to Appearance > Themes and Activate the parent theme that was selected by the client
- Go to Appearance > Child Theme and create a child theme which is based off the base
- Theme Name = Clients Site Name
- Description = Include date of creation and any other relevant information
- Author = Digital Cheetah Solutions
- Ensure the child theme was automatically activated.
- Go to Appearance > Customize and change the parameters as agreed to by the client. If there is a very specific color scheme required by the client; let a designer know. It will be beneficial to hard code it as a Palette option selectable on the customize screen
- IN PROGRESS: A demo account can be created using the Users > Add New page. Assign the “test” user the role of demo; from there they can go to https://domain.com/wp-admin/customize.php and view the customize options if needed.
- Settings > General : update WordPress Address and Site Address fields to use secure connection (https://)
- The site is now ready for content and other variables as traditionally set.
Prepare Site for Go-Live